Jimmy

Yiithla 26

Clare has been acting strange lately. I've heard her crying quietly at night, and Clare never cries. Something is amiss, I am sure of it.

I think it may be Jimmy's fault.

Jimmy left for a combat mission, alone, by order of the Redmatt Counsel, two nights ago. Clare vehemently protested when he told us he was going. She believes he might not come back. In truth, his trip does lead him through some rather dangerous places, but Clare is seeing the worst case scenario. I shall return momentarily.

Later,

I have just spoken with Clare, asking her why she was crying. At first she was furious, and told me to leave at once, but I persisted. I sat down on the edge of her bed, and was immediately tackled by my sister. I almost defended myself against her, but I slowly realized that her angry shouting in my ear was actually sorrow-filled sobs. "Caiti, it's awful! Simply awful!" was all she managed before utterly breaking down into heart-wrenching sobs. Not being a very touchy person myself, I felt rather awkward, but I hugged Clare and rocked her back and forth, like a mother with a weeping babe. This went on for several minutes, until Clare had composed herself enough to, between hiccups, tell me all she feared. Her words still ring in my ears-

"When Jimmy left, (hic) I went to go protest to the Red(hic)matt (hic) Counsel (hic), but I ran into Ray. His face (hic) was all pale, so I (hic) asked him what was wrong. (hic) *clears throat* He told me that he'd seen some sort of vision, an awful vision! He said that he'd seen Jimmy (hic) getting- g-getting... murdered!" And she broke into fresh sobs.

It was like I was in a trance. Jimmy? Killed? Impossible! Jimmy had been in our lives since who-knew-when! Jimmy wouldn't...couldn't....

I detached myself from Clare, told her to get some rest, and walked back to my tent before she could do anything more than hiccup. I walked like one brought back to life, stiffly and jerkily, over to the blackthorn desk and to this journal, where I began writing what had just transpired. I thought what Clare had said over, and caught something I had missed earlier- how did Ray kno- I mean, think he saw Jimmy's death? In order to do that, he would have to be a Seer! But he isn't... or is he?

Much, too much, has happened in too small an amount of time. I must try to get some rest, though I doubt I shall ever fall asleep.

No comments: