Father's Locket

Yiithla 19, in the year of the triplet princesses' return to Leslan

I am, at the moment, sitting in the branches of an apple tree, writing in this journal and watching Lord Furiosis help Cori perfect his jump-and-cleave-an-enemy-in-half. Ah, Cori. Let me describe this miracle I'm witnessing-

Furiosis- No, Corinath, you jump first. The momentum of your jump
is what keeps your sword from becoming stuck in the dummy.
(demonstrates jump and neatly cuts a straw-filled dummy into ribbons)

Cori- Yes, Lord Furiosis. (blows hair away from his eyes. Sunlight turns
his hair bright gold)

Furiosis- (shakes head) You know, I think you're making this hard on me
on purpose. Is something wrong?
Cori- No! Everything is perfectly fine! (says quickly)
Furiosis- Are you sure?
Cori- Yes! I mean, no... to be completely honest, I don't know.
Furiosis- (places hand on Cori's shoulder) Is it about a girl?
Cori- (looks at Furiosis in amazement) How'd you know?
Furiosis- (smiles knowingly) So, what's troubling you?
Cori- (sighs) It's the princesses'. Do you really think that three
girls will be able to defeat Xivuu? All by themselves? He's as
destructive as a hurricane! (looks down) Believe me, I know.
Furiosis- Ah yes. Corinath, nobody compares you to him. There
is no resemblance between the two of you.
Cori- I can't sleep at night. I keep hearing his voice, always saying
the same thing. He's always saying "Corinath, why did you desert
me in my time of need? We could have ruled all Leslan!" (takes
shaky breath and rubs eyes) Can I go now?
Furiosis- (adopts affectionate tone) Of course, Corinath. Just
remember- if you need assistance with anything at all...(cleaves
another dummy in half) just let me know.
Cori- Thanks. (walks away)
I'm not sure what to think about this. Cori's related to Xivuu? Our greatest enemy? Why hasn't he gotten kicked out of camp yet? But I can't be too harsh on him. He sounded genuinely terrified when he spoke about hearing voices at night. Also, I don't think that Cori could ever be evil. Maybe I should tell someone... no, I can't risk doing anything that could hurt Cori. I'll mull this over...
Back to the original purpose of this diary entry- Father's locket. When we arrived in Leslan, My sisters and I each received one of our parent's belongings. Courtney got Mother's ring- a beautiful work of art and a gift from an Elf, I am sure. Clare got Mother's shawl, but it's not just any shawl. It's magic-imbued, so it provides heat in cold, coolness in heat, shall never rip or tear, and deflects any thing that intends to do harm to the wearer. It's a beautiful pattern too. Apparently, our father didn't own many things that withstood the castle's burning, so I got Father's only surviving possession- his locket. It's made of gold, shaped like an egg, and fits in my palm perfectly. When I opened it, I was met with the most spectacular sight- my father. He was small, and looked like a wisp of smoke. I heard a faint but sturdy voice in my head saying "Child, close the locket. I'm not strong enough to stay in here when it's open. But just remember- I'm always here for you." I think a fragment of my father's spirit is in the locket. It glows and feels soothingly warm from time to time, and gets ice-cold when danger is near. It's very handy, and I feel safe because I know that my father is watching over me.


No comments: